Monday, May 10, 2010

DAVID HIDALGO, "ONE TIME, ONE NIGHT"



I've always liked Los Lobos, but have only really heard a cut or two here and there. Hidalgo's playing on this song really floored me-- it sounds like a much better version of what I'm trying to do. I'd guess his lines are influenced by traditional Mexican instrumental styles, but it sounds to my ear like some Scotch/Irish fiddle-tune vocabulary too. (A little ballad-mode Hendrix too, at the top.) I'm not qualified as far as knowing the history of those styles, so I don't know if there was any cross-pollinating going on before the "modern" era, but this need not matter to the player (like myself!) considering stealing from Hidalgo.

I need to listen to this a lot more, but so far I hear a blend of major pentatonic and mixolydian modal approaches, along with a pretty steady stream of 2/4 sixteenth notes. Add to that an excellent example of how a Fender can be trashy and twangy both. Beautiful playing throughout-- he does a great job of shifting from one kind of line to another, which makes a long solo seem short to the listener. The Allmans used to do this kind of thing, too-- a word to the wise!

4 comments:

  1. Great song; great playing. He reminds me of Richard Thompson--the dropped D (I think), the blues/modal thing, the quacky Strat tone--particularly when Thompson does his Celto/Cajun thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. good observation, Anonymous. i think it is in dropped D, too.
    interestingly, i've skipped around different Los Lobos clips, and Hidalgo plays somewhat differently in different situations. His playing is always great, but I particularly like what he does here, in his quacky Strat/blues/modal/dropped D/Celto/cajun mode. Somehow, with all those things mixed in, it still goes down easy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. any tabs for this song

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't know where you can find free tablature
    for this. If you're interested in having me transcribe
    It for money, please email me at karlstraub@hotmail.com.

    Unfortunately, I'm booked up with other work
    for this month, and I wouldn't be able to get to it
    for a while, but if you're interested please email.

    ReplyDelete