Wednesday, October 7, 2009

ONLINE LESSONS AND TRANSCRIPTIONS, MADE TO ORDER

ONLINE LESSONS DESIGNED TO MEET YOUR NEEDS


If you're interested in doing online lessons with Karl Straub, here's how it's done.

1. Imagine that you are going to an hour long guitar lesson. Make a list of all the things you want to learn about, and think about questions you would ask the teacher. In theory, you can ask just about anything. Here are some general categories and sample questions to give you some ideas.

CHORDS

"Can you tell me about chord progressions and how they work?"

or, more specific--
"Can you tell me about how the chord changes work in a specific style, like western swing, Beatles music, blues, etc.?"

MELODY

"Can you tell me how melodies fit with chords?"

or, more specific--
"Can you tell me how melodies fit with chords in Elvis Costello's music? or Joni Mitchell's? or Bob Dylan's? or Otis Redding's?"

IMPROVISING

"How can I get better at improvising solos?"

more specific--
"How can I get better at improvising blues solos? or country, jazz, rock, etc.?"

TECHNIQUE

"I'm having trouble with bends/pulloffs/slides/vibrato etc. What can I work on to get better at these techniques?"

THE STYLE OF A SPECIFIC GUITARIST THAT YOU LIKE

"How does Jimmy Page put together a solo? or Hendrix? Clapton, Freddy King, Clarence White, Tony Rice, Norman Blake, Albert King, Joe Pass, Charlie Christian, etc."

SPECIFIC SONG OR SOLO


"Can you show me how to play 'Satisfaction'? or 'Blackbird'? or 'Iron Man" by Black Sabbath? flatpicking traditional tunes like 'Bill Cheatham'? 'Stormy Monday' by T-Bone Walker? 'Ornithology' by Charlie Parker? etc."

NOTE
-- depending on the complexity of a song or solo that you want to learn, it may involve extensive transcription. Transcription rates may apply-- when you let Karl know what you are looking for, he'll work out payment with you.

LESSON FORMAT
Usual format is email, including text and pdf files of notation and tablature. Video lessons are also possible. I'm still working out the logistics of video lessons, but I can probably email movie file to you or post on a private site for you to view.

PAYMENT

When you explain in an email what you are looking for, Karl will come up with a lesson plan that fits an hour format. Hour lesson rate is $70.00. Once you have okayed my lesson plan, you pay 50% down payment, which is $35.00. Remainder is due when you've received your lesson by email.

You can pay by sending a check to KARL STRAUB, 406 CLOVERWAY DRIVE, ALEXANDRIA, VIRGINIA, 22314. PLEASE MAKE CHECKS PAYABLE TO KARL STRAUB.

If you are looking for transcription more than a lesson, the basic rate is $30.00 per transcription. (Transcriptions are notation and tablature that show what someone played.) Transcription is very time-consuming. I can give you a price quote for whatever your transcription project is, depending on how long the work will take. NOTE-- I tries to keep the price around $30.00, but some projects are very complex. It depends on what you're looking for.

I have a back catalog of transcriptions I've done already. Current price for these is $5.00 each. I haven't put a list up yet, but information available on request.

No comments:

Post a Comment