Saturday, October 9, 2010

LAURINDO ALMEIDA WITH THE MJQ, "ONE NOTE SAMBA"



The recent Tommy Tedesco post had Laurindo in the background, and it whetted my appetite for some upfront Almeida.

Laurindo Almeida is one of those names I've heard a million times, but I've never really made much effort to hear his work. Well, that just means one more reason why growing older doesn't have to be a bad thing-- it presents an opportunity to dig deeply into the music of this great master. There's additional Almeida available online, including some hip "bossa nova" arrangements of Debussy et al. Let me know if you need more, and I'll take care of it.

4 comments:

  1. great stuff...and somebody should slap that host.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i agree about slapping the host. that was the era when a lot of old guard music industry types were still fighting the fight, at least rhetorically, against rock and roll. sadly, now we live in an era when arguably his statement is more true and fair than it was then, but you'd never hear a tv host talk that way now.

    i was listening to Bo Diddley a lot this week, and the host's canard about "three chords" notwithstanding, I think Bo showed that even one chord can sound pretty great. At any rate, there's room on my shelf for Almeida and Diddley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "there's room on my shelf for Almeida and Diddley. "

    And many more seemingly disparate artists as well... that's what I love about music.

    ReplyDelete