Wednesday, January 20, 2010

BARNEY KESSEL AND JULIE LONDON, "CRY ME A RIVER"



Here's the classic studio version, a high-water mark for sultry jazz-influenced pop. Obviously Julie London is the main event, but this is a guitar site, damn it! So check out Barney Kessel's hip guitar accompaniment.

and here's a TV version from 1964 with the Bobby Troup Quintet. I'm not sure if it's Kessel on this version, but it's pretty much the same arrangement. In fact, it may be Julie lip-syncing to the original. I keep getting distracted by her shiny dress--

6 comments:

  1. LA in the 60's. Early on, seeing the name 'Barney Kessel' on the marquee at the Matador...and finding his name in the phone book, too. Oh, yeah.

    ReplyDelete
  2. backward turn four-four time in your flight
    I remember Barney Kessel like it was just last night

    ReplyDelete
  3. Definitly NOT the same version,LISTEN,the vocal phrasing is different and the guitar misses/messes the changes - they're not quite there like the original version.Hubby is playing on the 64 version,not Barney Kessel.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Agreed-- it's clearly not the same recording. How
    I missed that I don't know-- but I'm going to blame
    the dress. Thanks for your two cents! I'm glad someone's
    listening out there.

    ReplyDelete
  5. For what it's worth, Howard Roberts played guitar for Bobby Troup, back in the day. I could very likely be Howard.

    ReplyDelete