Tuesday, August 25, 2009

HOW TO SOUND LIKE CHET ATKINS, (tips from Steve Wariner)

On the Gibson site, Steve Wariner offered these tips on how to sound like Chet Atkins. Stay pure: “Chet did not use a lot of processing. When I was touring with him he used a Lexicon rack mounted delay and the only other thing between his guitar and amp was a distortion pedal, like a Tube Screamer. Earlier I guess he used an Echo-Plex type of tape delay. And he rarely used that fuzz pedal. He would use it when we’d play a funky piece and he’d play one solo with it turned on. He also used a Music Man amp on tour. In the studio he had a vintage Standel amp that was once owned by the great steel guitar player Jimmy Day. It had a plaque with Jimmy’s name on the back.”

Master vibrato: Atkins used heavy strings on the bass side of his guitar neck and light gauge strings for his top three notes. “He used those heavier strings to pick his bass lines with his thumb, so he could play bass and melody at the same time. He kept his vibrato arm set where he could lay his pinky over it, so he could dip it with his little finger. He was also a master of creating vibrato with the fingers of his left hand.”

Pick clean: “So much of what Chet did was with his hands. He had amazing articulation on the guitar.

His notes were always pure and clean and gorgeous. Chet had a reach and tone that was unreal. He had enormous hands, so he could play a chord by wrapping his left hand around the back of his guitar’s neck and pinning down a note with his thumb. He did that on his intro to ‘Mr. Sandman,’ and he’d tell me ‘Steve, why don’t you try it this way?’ And I’d say, ‘With my pudgy little hands? I can’t!’ ”

Think old school: “For Chet, everything was in service of the melody. He could have played a lot of flashy licks, but he was really interested in playing music that everybody could enjoy, not just guitar players. So he would make sure the melody was always at the front of whatever he played.

“He also liked to record with super clean amplifiers and ribbon mikes. One of his favorites was the RCA-77. If you’re really looking for authentic vintage tones, you’re going to need the vintage gear.”



8 comments:

  1. When I Spoke To Mr. Atkins, In 1992, He Explained About Splitting The Octaves On The "E" & "A" Strings! I Had All This Done, With A Split Cable Through 4 Octave Effects Into A Bass Amp; Then, All The Other Effects, Other Side Of The Cable, Going Into My Carvin Amps! However, I Still Can't Get The Sound On The Bass Side That Mr. Atkins Did On The Older Albums! Karl, Can You Help Me Achieve The Sound That Atkins Did! I Am An Accomplished Guitatist, 49 Tears; Yet, I Have No Desire To Be Popular; And, Use My God-Given Talent In Church! My Desire Is To Master That Bass Sound; And, Record Some Albums For The United Pentecostal Church Membership! Would You Please Help Me With This Unique Desire; Or, Give Me A Referral, To Someone That Can? You May Contact Me At hinson4856@sbcglobal.net! Thank You, Darwin Hinson

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Darwin,

    unfortunately, it sounds like you've already experimented more in that area than I have.

    I'm not sure what specifically you're looking for that you're not hearing coming out of your amp-- and I'm not sure I can offer any suggestion outside of the obvious one that a Gretsch guitar with bass notes played clean and often palm-muted can get you a long way toward the right sound. In spite of the value of the tips quoted here, it seems to me that Chet's sound is an awful lot about his subtle touch and heavy practicing. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, I think your site might be having browser compatibility issues.
    When I look at your blog in Safari, it looks fine
    but when opening in Internet Explorer, it has some overlapping.
    I just wanted to give you a quick heads up! Other then that, awesome blog!


    My weblog - http://aaafx.livejournal.com
    My website > http://www.afghanmusix.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good day! This is my first visit to your blog!
    We are a team of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community in the same niche.
    Your blog provided us beneficial information to work on.
    You have done a outstanding job!

    My website investment trading

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am really impressed along with your writing abilities and
    also with the structure on your weblog. Is that this a
    paid subject matter or did you customize it yourself? Anyway keep up the nice quality writing, it is rare to look
    a great blog like this one today..

    my homepage optionfair

    ReplyDelete
  6. billy bear here and billy says iam as good as chet boys

    ReplyDelete
  7. DO YO BOYS KNOW BILLY BEAR HE PLAYED ON 48 HOURS BOYS

    ReplyDelete
  8. billy bear hear boys did you guys by chance see me on the grand o lop pre show i showed them old boys a thang or to !!

    ReplyDelete