Thursday, June 25, 2009

JAVA JIVE-- INK SPOTS GUITAR INTROS



The Ink Spots were a pre-rock vocal group. Along with great harmonies and amusingly ponderous recitations (which probably influenced Elvis), their records featured classic single-note riffs plus chord-melody guitar intros. (Huey Long, a guy who played some of these intros, just died at 105. I don't think he played on this cut, but I'm not sure.) Usually, the guitar intro arrangement was the same one they used on every other record; sometimes with a slight variation. (One of my first experiences with a compact disc was listening to each successive intro on an Ink Spots collection; with the new technology, it was now possible to hear twenty Ink Spots guitar intros in about a minute. They were almost all the same.)

This is "Java Jive," more of a fun novelty than their typical material, most of which is in a ballad vein. Classic!

3 comments:

  1. Check out "If I Didn't Care" on YouTube. I can't seem to copy the link here. It's my favorite.

    Yes, same guitar intro.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice post. This is very impressive and interesting to go through your blog.
    Thanks

    Nick Andrew

    ReplyDelete